Paraiso, West Kristian Dizon
Kataoka & Kinoh Lab
Doctor of Pharmaceutical Science
Research contents (Research key words)
Cancer, obesity, lipid metabolism, drug delivery systems, molecular pharmaceutics
I am an industrial pharmacist with an interest in pharmaceutical organic synthesis. Upon moving to Japan for graduate school, I shifted to nanomedicine research. My doctoral work dealt with lipid-coated gold nanoparticles for cancer photothermal therapy.
At iCONM, I am currently working with Dr. Sabina Quader on a Japan-Spain joint undertaking called COnCorD (Cpt Obesity Cancer Drug delivery). In this project, we collaborate with Dr. Rosalía Rodríguez-Rodríguez from Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (UIC-Barcelona) on developing a novel nanomedicine-based approach to fight obesity and cancer. The molecular target is the brain CPT1 enzyme expressed in glioma cells and hypothalamic neurons. The work entails the synthesis of enzyme inhibitors, the assembly of poly-ion complex micelles as the delivery platform of these molecules, and the evaluation of these systems on in vitro and in vivo models of glioblastoma and obesity.
2019 - present
Research Scientist, Innovation Center of NanoMedicine (iCONM)
2018 – 2019
Scientist, MediGear International Corporation
2017 – 2018
Technical Assistant, Hokkaido University
2014 – 2017
Doctoral Student, Hokkaido University
2009 – 2014
Faculty / Researcher, University of the Philippines
- Quader, S., Liu, X., Toh, K., Su, Y.L., Maity, A., Tao, A., Paraiso, W.K.D., Mochida, Y., Kinoh, H., Cabral, H., and Kataoka, K., 2021. Supramolecularly enabled pH- triggered drug action at tumor microenvironment potentiates nanomedicine efficacy against glioblastoma. Biomaterials. 267, 120463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2020.120463
- Garcia-Chica, J.*, Paraiso, W.K.D.* (equal contribution), Tanabe, S., Serra, D., Herrero, L., Casals, N., Garcia, J., Ariza, X., Quader, S., and Rodriguez-Rodriguez, R., 2020. An overview of nanomedicines for neuron targeting. Nanomedicine (London) 15, 16. https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2020-0088
- Paraiso, W.K.D., Tanaka, H., Sato, Y., Shirane, D., Suzuki, N., Ogra, Y., Tange, K., Nakai, Y., Yoshioka, H., Harashima, H., and Akita, H., Preparation of envelope-type lipid nanoparticles containing gold nanorods for photothermal cancer therapy, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, Vol. 160, pp. 715-723, Dec. 2017., https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2017.10.027
- Aniñon, A.D.A., Binos, R.S.R., Brizuela, K.M.M., Corpuz, M.C., De Luna, W.J.E., Del Rosario, R.P.S., Dimalala, J.J.C., Dueñas, T.J.P., Linatoc, I.I.B.,Recto, J.P.D., Salinas, M.V., Paraiso, W.K.D., 2014. Spectrophotometric Determination of Losartan Potassium in Tablets. Science Diliman Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 41-52, Jan. 2014
- Paraiso, W.K.D., and Alea, G.V., Synthesis and In Vitro Antimycobacterial Activity Determination of Phthalimide Derivatives. Manila Journal of Science Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 27-34, Jan. 2013.
- Quader, S., Kataoka, K., Cabral, H., Kinoh, H., Liu, X., Shibasaki, H., and Paraiso, W.K.D., Latest Advancement of Targeted Drug Therapy using Polymer Micelle. The 79th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Cancer Association. 1-3 October 2020. Online.
- Paraiso, W.K.D., Garcia-Chica, J., Ariza, X., Garcia, J., Kataoka, K., Rodriguez-Rodriguez, R., and Quader, S. Using Nanomedicine to Hijack Lipid Metabolism in Glioma Cells and Hypothalamic Neurons by Blocking Carnitine Palmitoyl-Transferase 1 (CPT1). 2020 American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) PharmSci 360. 26 October-5 November 2020. Online.
- Garcia-Chica, J., Paraiso, W.K.D., Ariza, X., Garcia, J., Herrero, L., Casals, N., Serra, D., Quader, S., and Rodriguez-Rodriguez, R. Development of C75-CoA-loaded polymeric nanomedicines to inhibit CPT1 in specific brain cells. NanoBioMed Online Conference (NBMO2020). 10 July, 2020. Online.
- Paraiso, W.K.D., Akita, H., and Harashima, H. Development of an envelope-type lipid nanoparticle to deliver gold nanorods for photothermal therapy. Euro Bio-inspired Materials 2016: International School and Conference on Biological Materials Science. 22-25 February 2016. Potsdam, Germany.
- International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP)
- Young Pharmacists Group (YPG)